Skilled Trades Roles
Employees in maintenance and trades roles focus on ensuring that schools are safe and functional for students and staff to learn in each day. Individuals who work in trades roles at the district are critical to ensure continuity of day-to-day technical operations of buildings. Trades employees work behind the scenes in their trade area of expertise to ensure schools run efficiently.
There are several trades pathways at the School District of Philadelphia for experienced trades people. Individuals who want to start or continue their career in one of the Trades roles below can apply directly to the Skilled Trades Talent Pool:
- Painters are responsible for painting, glazing and plastering of surfaces in classrooms, hallways and other areas in buildings at various School District locations. Employees in this class repair and maintain both interior and exterior plaster finishing.
- Plumbers installs, maintains and repairs plumbing equipment and fixtures, and work involves assignments of increasing scope and complexity as the employee gains familiarity with the work environment. This is the entry level of the journeyman series in the plumbing trade.
- Ironworkers install, erect and repair articles made from iron, steel, aluminum and sheet metal. Candidates should be proficient in arc welding.
- Steamfitters installs maintains and repairs heating and ventilating systems, maintains and repairs radiators, steam lines, fittings bent and straight tubes in heater tube boilers, and internal feed lines in boiler drums: cuts, threads and welds pipes and materials for repair.
- HVAC Mechanics
- Electricians complete entry level work in the electrical mechanical trade, including installing, maintaining and repairing electrical equipment across School District buildings.
Each position requires certification in the trades area in question and demonstration of applicable skills through a written and practical examination. Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis and qualified candidates are invited in for an interview.